PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

5.31.2013

8th Birthday Special Celebration!

 Even though I can still hardly believe it, a few weeks ago my daughter Skylar turned 8 years old!!

In our faith, 8 is a big deal!  We believe when children reach the age of 8, they become accountable.  This means they can now understand the difference between right and wrong, and they can choose to be baptized and become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

It is an exciting time, and I wanted to put something together for Skylar that was fun but also meaningful as well.  


For a few months before the big day, Skylar kept saying she didn't want a party...she just wanted a day at the spa with me :)  Um...YES!  Sounds good to me! ;)

The more I got thinking about it though...I realized what a wonderful opportunity this was to express something so important to my precious little girl.  Instead of spending a whole day focused on our Outer Beauty (which is fun and wonderful!) I wanted to take the day and focus on ALL of the things that make my little one TRULY beautiful.

When we got in the car, I told her to get ready for a Day of Beauty!  Then I handed her this note rolled up and tied with a ribbon.


She was SO excited, and could not wait to find out where we were going!

Our first destination was all about celebrating her Beautiful Mind!  We went to our local Children's Museum and then picked out a fun new book at the bookstore.  She loved every minute of it, and I really emphasized all the things I love about her mind...how good she is at reading, what great imagination she has, and how she LOVES to learn!


The next stop was very special.  After a yummy lunch we went shopping for the perfect white dress for my little girl to wear to her baptism!  While we were shopping we talked all about her Beautiful Spirit, how proud I was of the choice she was making, and what a good example she was to her brothers and sisters.

Yeah...I totally cried :)  


Finally, we finished the day with some good old Outer Beauty too ;)  A trip to the salon for manicures and pedicures was the perfect way to end our day.



I cannot tell you how wonderful this day was.  We are raising children in a world that will teach them the MOST important things are just that...THINGS!  I am so grateful I had an opportunity to share with my daughter was makes her TRULY beautiful.  Yes, I think she is gorgeous...but she is so much more than that.  She has a heart of gold, and TRUE desire to choose the right.  She teaches me about forgiveness and love every single day.
\
So I would love to know...what have you done for your childs birthday that has become a special tradition in your family?!

4 comments:

Megan

I absolutely love this. It's pretty awesome how you saw her request as an opportunity to teach her. You, are a great mommy!

Michelle Paige

What a memorable birthday! How special for your daughter and you!

Jamie

Just started following your blog. I love it and all your many ideas! Thanks for sharing!

เฮงเฮงรวยรวย

สล็อต 777

ด้วยกฎกติกา รูปแบบการเล่นเกมสล็อตออนไลน์นั้นเล่นง่าย สามารถเล่นได้ทุกเพศ ทุกวัย เหมาะสำหรับผู้ใช้ทั้งรายเก่าและรายใหม่ สามารถพกพาความสนุกติดตามไปได้ทุกที่ ไม่ว่าจะอยู่ที่ไหน