PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

10.26.2011

Halloween Sugar Cookies

On monday we did one of our absolute favorite holiday activities....we made Sugar Cookies! I have so many memories of being a little kids and LOVING making and decorating sugar cookies. I am so glad my children enjoy it too and I love spending time in the kitchen with my cuties. I have to admit...its hard for me to get started. Sometimes it feels overwhelming to think about all the work and all the mess its going to cause, but I NEVER regret it after :)
Today I am going to share my recipe for these soft, chewy, delicous sugar cookies. These are from my previous neighbor Jeanette. If you know Jeanette, you know everything she makes is absolutely divine...and these cookies are no different. I know everyone has a sugar cookie recipe they swear by...but if you want, give these bad boys a try! :)
Here's what you need to get started:
1 C butter
1 C sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 C sour cream
3 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
First up, you want to mix your butter and sugar together. Once you have done that then you add your eggs and vanilla. After those are combined you add the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.


Once you have mixed all that together add your sour cream.

Now when you take it out of the mixing bowl it is going to be sticky. That's ok. :) Just make sure your surface is very well floured and don't be scared to add more flour once you start rolling it out.


Once you have rolled out your dough grab all your fun Halloween cookie cutters!


Just a sidenote: I made these while my kids were sleeping. I took half of the dough and put it in the fridge. That way when it was time they could still use the rolling pin and cookie cutters on that dough, and while those were baking they could be decorating the other half that I had already baked.

Once you have got your shapes ready to go bake your cookies at 375 degrees for about 9 minutes. You do NOT want to overcook them so watch them carefully and don't let them get too brown.


Oh man...don't you just want to take a bite?! :)



After that I mix up the frosting with a few drops of food coloring, get out the sprinkles, and let the kids go to town!

Yes...more frosting definitely ended up in Britton's mouth than on his cookies!



Let me know if you try out these cookies...they really are delicious! Have a wonderful day everyone and thank you SO much for stopping by this little blog :)

2 comments:

Lindsay

These look so fluffy! I would love to try them. Thanks for the recipe!

Unknown

Yummy!! I am a little embarassed to admit this but I have NEVER made homemade sugar cookies. For some reason I am so terrified of messing them up so I've never even tried. Your recipe looks simple though, maybe I should give it a shot.