PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

9.16.2011

Fit Friday...why am I doing this again?!




As I said on this thing yesterday, life has been kind of crazy. And really, isn't it always crazy for all of us?! Today's Fit Friday is short and sweet, but something that has had a really strong impact on me as a wife and mother....and really as a woman.


Our lives are all so hectic and we as women are responsible for so many things for SO many different people. I would list those responsiblities but then I would just start to feel overwhelmed:) I know so many women (and many times myself!) feel like working out and taking care of ourselves is just one more thing on the to-do list, and sometimes that its something that is going to take away from our families or those we love the most.


About 5 years ago I decided to try out yoga for the first time in a class setting. I am HORRIBLE at it....I mean, really, if you can't even touch your toes your not going to do too well ;) However, I will be forever grateful for the insight the instructor shared at the end of the class. As we were laying on our mats, just having finished the class she said "Thank you for loving the people in your life enough to be here. Because you have started off your day taking care of your needs and filling your cup, you now have enough to take care of them."


It was a total lightbulb moment for me. I love my family SO much, that one way I will show that love to them is by being the best me I can become. It reminds me of how on airplanes if there is a problem they tell you to get your oxygen mask on first so you can help your children and others around you. It is NOT selfish to take care of ourselves! In fact, I believe we do our children a great disservice if we do otherwise. We have to teach by example that simply because of our existence we are of great worth. And like anything of great worth, we DESERVE to be taken care of.


Like everything in life, I believe balance is the key. But I will be forever grateful to that instructor that helped me realize one of the best things I could do for those around me is to take care of me. And all the mornings when I pull myself out of bed at 4:30 to hit up my favorite spin class I think..."why am I doing this again?!" Because I love them (and ME) enough...and there is no stronger reason! :)



0 comments: