PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

7.05.2011

Sloppy Joes....Healthy Style!

We here at Blue Skies Ahead have been trying to cultivate a healthier lifestyle, and I thought I would post some of the quick, yummy recipes I have been making for dinner that have been a hit with my family.


My favorite healthy cookbook is Eating for Life, and this is a recipe I got from there with a few of my own little changes. Here's what you need:


1 lb lean ground turkey

1/2 red onion chopped

1/2 C chopped frozen spinach

1/2 C ketchup

1 tsp chili powder

1/4 tsp ground black pepper

1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce

1/4 C bbq sauce (I usually add in a little more :)


If you have never cooked with ground turkey before, this is a great way to get started! This has enough sauce you really can't tell the difference between the turkey and ground beef and it is just so much healthier!


So first you brown the turkey with the chopped red onion and the black pepper.



Once you have done that you simply dump in all the other ingredients and simmer on low for 10 minutes....WALAAH!!




See, I told you it was easy!! I found these great whole grain flatbread buns...they are only 100 calories a bun! Throw some fresh fruits and veggies on the side and you have got yourself one healthy, satisfying tasty meal :)


These recipe even passed the family test....every single person ate their entire sloppy joe, including my 2 year old! I always double this recipe so I can have leftovers for lunch for me and my husband.

Thank you so much for stopping by today, hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!




1 comments:

Cara and Mike

Looks FABULOUS Tonii!! :) Mmm... This is definitely going to be on next months menu! :)I love the new layout of your blog!! - You have SO many awesome ideas -